Monday, April 4, 2011

Juliet

Author: Ann Fortier
Genre:Historical fiction
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Release Date: August 24, 2010
ISBN: 0345516109
Pages: 464




Summery:

 When Julie Jacobs inherits a key to a safety deposit box in Siena, she is told it will lead her to an old family treasure. Soon she is launched on a precarious journey into the history of her ancestor Giulietta, whose love for a young man named Romeo inspired Shakespeare’s unforgettable story. As Julie crosses paths with the families who turned medieval Siena upside down, she begins to realize that the notorious curse -- 'a plague on both your houses' -- is still at work.

Review:
   I should preface this review by saying that I love Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. I have read it several times, have parts of it memorized and believe it is literary perfection...
So, this book had the potential to suck big time for me . I'm happy to say however that I loved it! The author  wrote a smart, creative, captivating tale. Romantic, mysterious and tragically poetic. It succeeded in  weaving the legend of the real Romeo and Juliet with Fortier's modern characters masterfully.  I'm so happy I sought this book out!

Cover:
 The cover is just okay for me but I would have liked something more than just a rose, Perhaps an image that was more romantic or had an Italian or historical reference.
yeah,  something a tad more like this!
Rating:    
                  A

No comments:

Post a Comment